About Me

I am a mother of two beautiful daughters. I currently work in the health care field and am a student studying my passion of the human psyche. (Psychology) I wish for all to be as healthy as possible; Mind, Body and Soul.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Biking 3:1

BODY-



I just recently purchased a new bike, with the hopes of improving my cardiovascular health. I'm not much of a runner, and the weather's so nice, I thought getting something that would take me outside would be the way to go. I haven't ridden a bike since I was a child, but you know what they say...once you learn, you'll never forget. So I began the search for my bike.


 I began at Walmart not really sure where else to look. The service wasn't great. (I couldn't find anyone to help me in the bike department.) After waiting about 15 minutes an older woman came to assist me and clearly didn't know much about the bikes. I think it would be ok to buy a children's or youth bike here, but I needed more guidance. I then chose to go to Olde Towne Bicycles, which is a bicycle shop in Woodbridge, VA. It was a nice little shop, and the staff were very knowledgeable, however, I wasn't ready for the high-tech bikes they had displayed. The average price was around $300-$600. They recommended Dick's Sporting Goods, which is in between Wal-Mart and them. The sales associates were all helpful and knowledgeable. Fortunately they were also having a sale on bikes. I ended up purchasing a decently priced mountain bike. 



Now that I have my bike and have begun riding, I have discovered a a new biker's world out there I never knew existed. There are non-racing biking events that one can participate in, such as, Bike DC, and Bike New York. I hopefully will be participating in one of these events for 2011. There are also different websites that give breakdowns of the different biking trails and paths in the local area. There are also certain rules and signals one must follow when riding a bicycle. The Virginia Department of Transportation has a website outlining these regulations for the state of Virginia.  

Here are examples of the hand signals cyclists must adhere to. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers