About Me

I am a mother of two beautiful daughters. I currently work in the health care field and am a student studying my passion of the human psyche. (Psychology) I wish for all to be as healthy as possible; Mind, Body and Soul.

Friday, July 30, 2010

Living with Cerebral Palsy 7:1



BODY- 

My first daughter Arielle was born December 28th. She was a Christmas baby. She was the light of my eye. During her birth, I had complications. It was a torturous 17 hour laboring process. Her heartbeat dipped extremely low and her umbilical cord was wrapped twice around her neck. My baby came out purple, but unbeknownst to me I assumed everything was ok. I heard her cry and upon seeing her for the first time I cried "she's perfect!"  It wasn't until 3 years later, and countless Doctor's appointments, that we realized that everything wasn't perfect. Although she was smart as a button and began intelligent speaking at a young age, her gross motor skills were slightly delayed. After she began to walk, we noticed she would walk on her right tiptoe. We thought she had injured it, or maybe picked up the habit from her father. All the Doctors said the same thing, "she's just walking on her tiptoes, nothing to worry about." It wasn't until we saw a neurologist and he did a very basic test, had her walk. That was all it took and he diagnosed her with "Cerebral Palsy." He said that he could tell instantly by the way she held her right hand in a fist while walking. It hit me like a mack truck. The tears began to flow as the only thing I could picture was the worst case scenario of my child in a wheelchair, contorted and unable to speak or eat. I wasn't educated about this condition, didn't know what caused it or the progression of it.



Cerebral Palsy is a neurological disorder that affects muscle movement and coordination. It is usually caused by a lack of oxygen to the brain, brain infections, or head trauma before, during or shortly after birth. There are different types of cerebral palsy, some cases are mild and some severe. It is the most common congenital disorder in childhood. There are 500,000 children and adults living with the condition in the United States.



Cerebral Palsy is divided into 4 different classifications. The most common type is called Spastic Cerebral Palsy, occuring in 70-80% of all cases. This is the type Arielle has, she has a mild version that effects her right arm and leg.  The symptoms may affect one arm or leg, one side of the body, both legs, or both arms and legs.




  • Spastic cerebral palsy -- causes stiffness and movement difficulties
  • Athetoid cerebral palsy -- leads to involuntary and uncontrolled movements

  • Ataxic cerebral palsy -- causes a disturbed sense of balance and depth perception

  • Hypotonic cerebral palsy-- appear limp and can only move a little or not at all



There is no cure for Cerebral Palsy. It is a lifelong disorder, however it does not change or get worse with time. There are some treatment options that may help with some of the symptoms. Physical and Occupational therapy will help the patient become more independent. There are medications that can help with seizures and muscle relaxers to help with the spasticity. There are botox injections that may also help relax the muscles. Surgery is also an option.


When Arielle was 5, she underwent a tendon lengthening surgery to allow for more movement and less tension in her leg. The surgery seems to have helped and she has only a slight limp today at the age of 16. She is a happy, healthy, bright young girl. I have learned to accept and love my beautiful daughter the way God gave her to me. She is a blessing beyond my wildest dreams. Although she will never be a star athelete, she is extremely bright and creative. She has excelled in art and I have included some of her Anime drawings.  


















No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers